10.18.2010

Cigarettes, Sauerkraut, and Death

This coming Halloween will mark one year of me living where I live now. There's three of us, three rooms. The guy on the lease and I obviously haven't changed. But the third roommate has changed about five times since I moved in. One of those darling roommates was written about in Pooky. Besides her we had a lady live here for about two weeks and then left saying it was too wet here, a yuppyish fella who I thought was okay but then he and the other guy living here started fighting or something, a guy on parole who didn't do all his community service so he had to go back to jail, and now we're on our fifth who pees with the door open and uses my baking sheets to dry his shorts in the oven. So the guy on the lease, for privacy issues, we'll just call "Rawburt." He's the one that always give these people the third room. He's asked me about it before but I'm never there when the people stop by so he just says "They seem to be fine." He basically gives the room to the first person who responds to the craigslist ad. 

And speaking of Rawburt, he doesn't do anything. Not really. The very first thing I think of or picture in my mind when I think of Rawburt is him in the living room on his recliner watching his flat screen television. All the time. That's it. And he orders pizzas. I've seen him eat bowls of sauerkraut. He gets work sometimes from…wherever, but the third roommate and I pay more than him, even though he definitely has the largest room. So we basically pay him. I didn't find this out until six or seven months after I moved in. He's kind of clean, but I feel like he's getting less so. 

So what's the deal? I mean, why am I still here? Why haven't I moved out? Well, for one, I kind of have a lot of stuff, and no car, so it's hard to move. Secondly, it's pretty cheap where I live, the cheapest around probably. And the place isn't cramped or anything, so it's relatively a good deal. And I have bothered Rawburt about the unfair rent payments but…I don't know…he comes up with dumb reasons, and like I said, it's the cheapest around. And I'm only here until may or june. As long as I stay in my room...

But who knows. I have a pretty good job now (yeah. suckway fired me) so I'm making a bit more. I could just very well pay slightly more for a better place. But in the end I'm so ridiculous, it'd be so hard to find some random people that would be great to live with. I don't have any friends that are needing roommates right now.

Oh well. 

1 comment:

  1. If this were an assignment for Dr. Tennant's class, I would vote for You to get the candy bar. This title is striking, grotesque, vile, dirty, detailed, heinous, genius.

    ReplyDelete